Birmingham-based social enterprise and Community Interest Company, Gateway Family Services CIC is celebrating its 5th birthday today and would like to say a big thank you to all of its service users, clients and commissioners for all of their hard work and support over those years.
Since starting out from modest beginnings in a small office in Digbeth, Gateway Family Services has been helping the local community to become more active and healthy as well as growing to employ over nearly 200 staff throughout the West Midlands in a variety of roles.
- have supported over 4000 vulnerable pregnant women to achieve a healthy pregnancy.
- have helped over 1500 vulnerable women with their housing needs – a key risk factor for infant mortality.
- In the last year alone enabled 103 unemployed people to achieve a level 1 Employability & Personal Development Course,
- Delivered training to 191 learners in the last academic year.
- have held one to one health and lifestyle assessments with over 5000 residents of South Birmingham , who were at high risk of poor health, 75% achieved their personal health plans!
- speak 18 languages including Urdu, Somali and Punjabi
- Employed, trained and supported 52 people to achieve their Apprenticeship – almost 50% have already secured long term employment
In these tough times, it is important to remember that health and economic inequalities persist – Birmingham is doing well and we need to support interventions that work!!
A snapshot of outcomes
- 51% of women referred to smoking cessation topped or reduced smoking!
- In 2010 alone, over 2500 people were helped to change their diet in order to eat more healthily
- More than 300 people were supported in giving up smoking or drinking this year thanks to the support and help of the Health Trainer Team
- 39 unemployed people went into paid jobs and 5 returned for further training
Here’s to the next 5 years – well done to all our staff and the people they work with!