SEUK has just announced that there will be a ‘state of the sector’ report this year and initial headline data is now available.
Data available so far reveals a sector that is exceeding expectations given the harsh economic climate and indicates that:
- It is a relatively young sector — more than 50% of social enterprises are less than five years old.
- Over half of social enterprises saw turnover increase in the past year.
- This financial performance is being driven partly by innovation, with 59% of organisations having developed new products and services in 2014.
- It’s a diverse sector, with 40% of social enterprises led by women and 11% by leaders from a minority ethnic background.
- 14% of social enterprises are exporters.
There’s an excellent infographic presenting findings so far HERE. Click on it for a larger view — very impressive!
The full survey report will be available later this year.